Sunday, January 20, 2013

Artist's Statements are tough...



Here's my latest attempt:




Artist Statement


I am an artist.  I have been an artist ever since I could wield a pencil.  Back then I made up children’s books on the weekends, creating my own text and pictures.  I loved color and tried my hand at sculpture while watching cartoons.  I was constantly learning, constantly honing my craft and always dreaming about what could be.  I focused heavily on art in high school, taking additional lessons at local city art organizations in Albany and Troy, NY.  In 2002, I moved to Burlington, VT for college and combined my love of art and my love of the written word by double majoring in Graphic Design and Professional Writing.  I graduated in 2007 with 2 Bachelor’s degrees, and a complete lack of career direction.  Despite the technological skills I had gained in my undergraduate studies I still felt most comfortable and fulfilled working as a fine artist, drawing on paper and painting by hand.  For several years I lived, worked and created art with no idea about what the future might bring.    In 2010, I began working for a fellow artist, taking over the marketing and design responsibilities that come with being a “working artist”.  Learning how artists can support themselves through art was very inspiring and opened up my eyes to how much the art community has to offer.   A year later I packed up my art things from the spare bedroom of my apartment and moved into the Soda Plant Artist’s Collective Environment (S.P.A.C.E.), a gallery funded by the rented art studio spaces that surround it.  Since then I have immersed myself as an artist in the local art scene and began a renewed journey towards becoming a “working artist” myself.  Although I still am unsure about what the future holds I find a relaxing sense of comfort in my continued learning and my constant creation of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment