Sunday, February 15, 2015

Safari Mural

Safari Wall
2'h x 10'w
interior latex paint

Commissions welcome :)

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Fused Glass Progress: Almost Perfect

This was a deep mold which can sometimes yield stretched or distorted results. One side was perfect...the other side slumped ever so slightly shorter making the edge not so perfect (see bottom right).

I'm going to give it another fire, picking the one edge of the mold up just a little. Maybe it'll come out with an even lip around the edges or maybe it'll turn out worse.

kiln-fired glass

*to be continued.

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Progress; Not Product

There's been a lot of progress lately; lots of ideas that are in the works, but no real finished products. So what the hell, here's some pictures from the studio. 

I'm working a few projects at one time, which tons more ideas to come!

(above: 10" x 10" fused glass bowl..almost) 

Currently it's waiting on a second full fuse because the edge got chipped during the grinding process. Just hoping it doesn't change to much as I'm pretty happy with the product so far. After that it's being slumped in a 10" round mold that has a 1.5" lip around the edge. This is new to me and I'm treating this piece as a test pilot for work to come.

(above: color bar slices)

Cutting up this color bar has been a long time coming. I'm planning to incorporate it into a piece with the circles below. 

Also to the right you can see a cinnabar colored square that I tested out the reaction it had with sunset coral frit. The frit took on a darkened cinnabar color as a result of the chemicals inside each.

(above 3.5" round fish portholes) 

These have undergone several firings, including a full fuse with fiber paper to indent the fish shapes which I then filled with frit. Today I spent some time cutting them up and grinding them into circles. They are awaiting a full fuse with the bubble glass as a top layer.

Saturday, December 20, 2014

How to Screw Up and Salvage a Fused Glass Picture Frame

10"w x 10"h x 1.75"d
kiln-fired glass

I had this "genius" idea that I wanted to make a fused glass picture frame. The easiest method to take would have been to create the outside frame and attach it to a pre-made smaller frame with a flat face that it could be glued on. Glueing glass you ask..? They make industrial strength glue for that very thing.

But that seemed to easy of a solution. If I'm going to make a picture frame from glass I want the entire thing to be glass, including the pocket for the picture, glass, mat and backing to slide into. As far as the construction was concerned it made sense and using fiber paper I could block out the areas I needed to stay open.

My first fire was a full fuse in which I created the Cinnabar (brown) frame. Once it was put together it was much easier to work with. Then I create a pocket for the picture, as seen below, using fiber paper, a glass square (under the fiber paper) and pocket walls of glass.

I set the frame on top. It rested on the pocket edges. I felt it was important to have no gap of space.

I adorned it in little glass squares, stuffed fiber paper under the edges of the frame so it wouldn't droop and it went into the kiln for a second fire, a tack fuse.

There's always surprises with big things like this for some reason. Making this in two fires just seemed to good to be true. Or it wouldn't of been if I had left enough fiber paper overhang for the brown frame to potential spread.

And it came out cracked. 

It seems like the glass on the left side in the above photo rolled over the edge of the fiber paper pulling the frame and causing it to fracture through the middle. Interesting...physics applied to real-life right here. 

So I'm bummed but everything else about it came out so, so good. My pocket that I stressed about is a picture of perfection and the squares fused beautifully...all except for one little clear piece (seen to the right). A great candidate for glass glue.

What now?!

With the suggestion of my teacher I drew a jagged, "mountain-like" edge along the side of the frame. We were hanging a photograph of us atop Fireman's Lookout in Crater Lake, OR after all! And hopped of the ring saw to turn that fracture into part of the piece.

The finished product, shown above, had a organic, mountain ridge like look and feel. I hand sanded the edge, leaving them with a sandblasted look in fear of putting it back in the kiln for a fire polish. The solo square that jumped ship during the tack fuse got glued back on and tonight I will attach a wire to the back. 

After the framing process I'll shared the finished, finished piece.

Friday, December 19, 2014

Square Plate

Just practicing the style of stacking up smaller square on top of smaller square to get this effect. Well, it worked...not surprising because I've seen so many people do it but still..

7"w x 7"h x 1"d
kiln-fired glass

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Fused Glass Sushi Plate

Sushi Plate- with homemade frit (aka, crushed up glass) made from the scraps I got when I trimmed the top of the mountains bowl. It kind of reminds me of a Super Mario Bros. world. 

9.5"w x 5"h x .75"d
kiln-fired glass

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Fused Glass Bowl with Texture

It's hard to get a picture of my newest bowl because the best part is on the bottom. I tack fused it so all the textures remained and then slumped it with the textured side down so it is still functional.

Loving this teal color and wishing I had bought a few sheets instead of just one.

3"w 3"h x 1"d
kiln-fired glass bowl